Thursday, February 2, 2012

More Laughs (Brought to you by Veteran Affairs Assistance Service)

It has been a while since I have poked fun at the military. Trust me, it isn't for lack of things to poke fun at, it's just that sometimes there there are other, more pressing, issues on your mind (like your partner going away for the better part of a year, or impending world doom).  Truth be told, Ive been feeling a little less than "good" lately, and it almost might be worth while calling the Deployment Support Center, but wouldn't you know it, I have no idea where I placed their number (if that remark wasn't funny then you should read THIS post).

Luckily, I was recently put back on some (prescribed) mood altering medication (the stuff my deployment support package should have come with in the first place). This means that my depressed mood has been replaced with a slightly more cheerful, albeit still sarcastic and cynical, mood.  That said, here is my random, sarcastic, and cynical, thought/rant for the day:


The Veteran Affairs Assistance Service is in cahoots with the Deployment Support Center when it comes to giving people useless junk.  


 
I find it ironic that a card with a 1-800 support line that is open 24/7 feels the need to place a "mood reader" on their business card. It is almost as if there the instructions should be edited to read "Hold thumb on square for a count of ten to indicate how stressed/troubled/worried/sorrowful/depressed you are. To avoid high call volumes, and longer than usual wait times, please only call us when square remains black."

Now dont get me wrong, there definitely needs to be a support service, such as Veteran Affairs, available to Veterans and their families. However, is it really necessary to put a device that apparently reads you mood on the back of the card?  Can't a business card just be a business card and nothing else? Must every support group available to me couple their support with novelty items? If so, leave out the practical, boring things (IE: sticker, plastic bookmark, magnetic ruler) and the weird mixed meaning things (IE: Big Grip jar opener, band-aide dispenser, mood calculating contraption) and put something in there that I can at least have some real fun with (IE: multicolored plastic monster finger puppets).